Last Updated on by
Enterprise Product Data Management –
Do you ever ask yourself’
How do I control the revisions on our drawings/files so that our engineers are not working off the wrong version or overwriting someone else’s work?
How can we get our CAD Bill of Materials into our MRP system?
How can we share files with our plants in other locations?
What can SolidWorks do to help with our Engineering Change Order (ECO) process?
As an Engineering Manager or VP of Engineering these are important questions to ask. Designers should spend their time developing products, not looking for 3D models, images, renderings, and documentation. Storing design data on different servers at different locations throughout the organization means time spent manually searching for information, re-doing work, or re-creating the latest version of a file after it has been accidentally overwritten with an older version or just can’t be found.
20% of an engineer’s time is spent looking for files!
Translation: On average, 1 day per week is lost due to ineffective and inefficient data management. So what does that mean to you and your organization?
Let’s look at a quick return on investment (ROI).
Current number of engineers: 5
Hours per week using SolidWorks: 40 5 users x 40 hours = 200 hours/ week
Cost of a”fully burdened engineering hour” $65 200 hours/wk x $65/hour =$13,000/week (Cost including hourly rate/salary/healthcare/etc’)
Weeks per year worked: 50 $13,000 x 50/weeks = $650,000/ year
In this example, the CAD related overhead to this company is roughly $650,000/year. This is a simplified formula but the point is powerful! With engineers spending 20% of their time looking for file or remodeling a file that they cannot find’
This organization is losing $130,000 per year!
So how much time are your engineers spending looking for a file or recreating a design because they cannot find a file?
The leaking of profit within your organization can be solved with a better data management solution – Enterprise Product Data Management.
- Efficient data management– focus your design organization on product development by providing the tools to find, share, and reuse data quickly and efficiently.
- Implement and scale quickly– realize an immediate return on your investment by launching SolidWorks Enterprise PDM in just days, then scaling it as your organization grows in people, locations, and partners
- Streamline essential processes– administrative processes like approvals and sign-offs don’t have to be a drag on your design organization. Use automation and graphical modeling to minimize administrative work, while maintaining accuracy and accountability
- Collaborate without boundaries– design organizations can span continents and time zones. SolidWorks Enterprise PDM creates a single collaborative community regardless of distance and location.
- The flexible and customizable workflow capabilities of SolidWorks Enterprise PDM allow your organization to automate and control product development processes to streamline approvals and improve audit controls.
- An affordable, easy to use and easy to own solution.