Data Management: What You Really Need to Know
The world of big data is taking over. Data collection and storage rates are at all-time highs and proliferating. And for a good reason!
Companies need accurate data to make sound business decisions, generating and collecting more information every day. With that, there comes a need for data storage solutions and software to manage, organize, and analyze massive quantities of data.
What’s more, data management software solutions are vital to business success. Getting this one thing right can assist leaders with making challenging decisions that affect the health of their organization. Being able to make sense of all the data we’ve gathered is imperative. And security is paramount in everyone’s minds.
But with information flying in from every direction every day, how can we make sense of it all promptly? Data management solutions, like software built to synthesize data points in meaningful ways, enables organizations of all sizes to use their data to tell a compelling story.
Let’s take a look at all you really need to know about data management.
Data Management & Software: Top 4 Things You Should Know
In the following paragraphs, we’ll cover the top four things you genuinely need to know and understand when it comes to data management and data management software. These things include:
- What “data management” means and how it’s done
- Pros and cons of data management
- Data management best practices
- How data management software is transforming the future of work
1) What Is Data Management?
It is pointless to gather data for the sake of having it without putting it to good use.
Data management is the process of taking data that we’ve collected and organized to help us make better business decisions. It can be done in endless ways, but one of the most effective and efficient ways is to employ software designed to do just that: data collection, organization, and analysis.
2) Pros and Cons of Data Management
There are many advantages to having a significant data management software system in place, a few of which include:
- Secure data storage with access control
- Accurate data analysis and robust reporting functions
- Backups and data recovery features allow quick recovery if crashes occur
- Tracking and audit trails showing when and by whom information is accessed
While this list is not nearly exhaustive, you can see why a quality software solution is desirable. Work smarter, not harder!
There are a few disadvantages to note, as well:
- High-quality and effective data management solutions will likely cost you. It’s worth it, but you’ll have to establish a budget and go from there.
- Any database you put in place will take time to become effective as it requires training. Users will get better, and data will become more reliable as the organization becomes familiar with the new system.
- If data is stored only in one location you risk losing it, or it might get corrupted. You can solve this with multiple storage locations or simply by using cloud storage.
3) Best Practices for Good Data Management
Data is often sensitive, so it’s key to practice security at all levels of the organization, as well as within your databases. Purchase a data management software solution that provides you with peace of mind and highly rated security features.
Also, it is highly recommended to only collect the data necessary to make business decisions. For example, if you don’t need names or social security numbers, don’t ask for those pieces of data! This limits your liability and keeps your customer information more secure.
Lastly, but certainly not least, make sure your data is stored in an accessible system when and where (and by whom) it is needed most. The location should be centralized and secure, protected by backups and restorative processes.
Bonus tip: Track user access to information with version control. This will allow you to track who’s doing what within your system, as well as track changes to documents and data in real-time.
4) How Data Management Software is Transforming Work
Useful data allows organizations to be more adaptable and proactive. It helps us make quality decisions on the fly using validated information. With data, we can tell compelling and true stories about our work worlds. It can help us transform how we do things in ways that make (dollars and) sense.
Transforming Your Data Management Efforts with DesignPoint
If you’re ready to level up your business and increase your productivity and efficiency using the most innovative data management software, contact us! DesignPoint helps you streamline and transform your efforts by implementing the right solutions. From SOLIDWORKS PDM, to 3DEXPERIENCE Platform–we’ve got you covered!